Has my cat been poisoned?

Er min kat blevet forgiftet?

Your cat may be poisoned just as often as dogs are, although dogs are associated with being poisoned more often. It is therefore important to be observant of toxic substances that your cat may consume inside or outside the home. If you suspect that your cat has eaten something poisonous, you can read along here to get an idea of ​​what you can do.

The cat is by nature very clean and very curious, which is a combination that can lead to poisoning, and this should not be taken lightly, as it can be life-threatening for your cat. In addition to being curious, the cat has a habit of covering up that something is wrong. In addition, the cat has a relatively small body and has more difficulty breaking down some substances and chemicals, which complicates poisoning in the cat.

It can often be difficult to find the cause of a poisoning, therefore it can be more practical to simply remove household products, pesticides and plants that can contribute to poisoning your cat.

What you should avoid comes in the following list:

Human medicine

- If you are worried that your cat has consumed some human medicine, you can often see it by vomiting, if the cat is depressed, has swollen paws or face. Contact the doctor if the above applies.

- Attention must be paid in particular to: Antidepressant medications, aspirin, paracetamol and laxatives.

Plants

- Grass is approved here and must be available to the cat at all times. Grass is good for removing non-digestible materials such as fur from the stomach. The cat will automatically try other plants if they do not have grass available, therefore it is also important to always have grass at home.

- Poisonous plants: Tulips, Sago palms, Rhododendrons, Neria, Alpine violets and Lilies (can lead to acute kidney failure).

Car products

Gasoline, sprinkler, coolant, antifreeze and brake fluid. Several of these liquids are sweet in it, so it is very important that they do not stand at cat height. Ethylene glycol is what is in these liquids and if the cat has ingested this, the symptoms may be a cooler cat, a thirstier cat and/or nausea. Small portions can even cause kidney failure and/or death (so seek help quickly).

Pesticides

For example: insecticides, rodenticides and fungicides. In addition, flea remedies for dogs, which are definitely not used on cats. Finally, rat and mouse poison are dangerous for the cat to ingest. This happens most often in the event that they get hold of a dead mouse or rat, which is not their usual preference. The reason why it is not good for the cat is that there is a substance in the poison that counteracts the function of the blood to coagulate. The symptoms are usually: bleeding from the nose suddenly, vomiting blood, getting bloody diarrhea and that they can bleed from the mucous membranes in the mouth.

Products for the renovation of e.g. a house or apartment

Renovation products can cause damage to your cat such as irritation in the mouth or burns in the cat's organs. These products could be the following:
Lacquer and paint remover, kerosene, turpentine or paint.

Other toxic in the home : Developer liquid, chocolate and skopolish.

Algae: The cat will most often not drink water with blue algae, but should your cat in particular be affected by algae poisoning, the treatment is the same as for dogs.

Symptoms of poisoning:

Hyperventilation/change in breathing
Vomiting
Lethargy
Depression
Inflammatory conditions
Increased drinking water
Fast heartbeat beyond the usual

Pay attention to where the cat has been, is and what could be causing the symptoms. Finally, bring packaging, plants, remedies or anything else the cat may have come into contact with at the vet.

What if my cat gets poisoned, what do I do?

If you see symptoms in your cat, you must call the vet and seek advice. The cat can be induced to vomit so that the damage is as mild as possible - preferably within 30 minutes. In the case of caustic agents, however, it is not good to induce vomiting. Attempts to induce vomiting must not be made using salt, as this can lead to salt poisoning. The sooner you get help from the vet, the greater the likelihood of unnecessary suffering and in some cases death.

Avoid poisoning your cat

Store products, plants etc. away from your cat - preferably up high and with a lock on. The most important thing is that your cat cannot get hold of the above products or plants. Your handling of cleaning agents and other products should be handled responsibly and if you spill, you must have it wiped away as soon as possible. Place the plants that are dangerous for your cat out of reach or get rid of them.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

RELATED ARTICLES