Is it common for dogs to get allergies or be attacked by mites?

Er det almindeligt at hunde får allergier eller angribes af mider?

It is very common for dogs to have some skin disorders, which can be caused by itching all over the body or by the dog licking between the toes. It can take the form of wounds or other obvious scratch marks on the skin.

This occurs in both young and older dogs. However, the degree to which it manifests varies from breed to breed. Some of the dog breeds that most often have major problems with allergies are long-haired German Shepherds, bulldogs, west highland white terriers and amr. Staffordshire terrier.

First of all, it must be investigated whether it could be lice or fleas. After ruling out the possibility of lice and fleas, it can be examined if there are areas that are scaly and you can take a deep skin scraping. If there is, the vet can examine the wound under a microscope. Here, it is examined for mange mites and hair follicle mites, which can be different types of mites with itching as a symptom. Fortunately, it can be remedied with a special shampoo and/or treatment applied to the neck of your dog.

Many dogs come to Denmark from Eastern Europe, which has an impact on which animals or mites they can bring with them. It is most often seen that dogs from Eastern Europe carry hair follicle mites and mange mites to a greater extent. The dog is treated with a broad-spectrum antibiotic if there is no suspicion of a parasite and a bacterial skin disorder can thus be ruled out. The treatment will usually last approximately 30 days.

A wound or scratch mark can also be caused by an allergic reaction to something that may be in the dog's environment. Allergic reactions can be caused by allergies that we humans also get from, for example, grass or pollen, but also storage mites, dander from cats, rodents, humans, birds and dust mites.

To investigate the dog, the vet will examine antibodies against several different types of allergies, through a blood test, as is also done with us humans. Dry mites and dust mites are found in, for example, dry food, to which some dogs can also become allergic.

If the vet finds out what your dog is allergic to, you will probably get a syringe that you can use to give small amounts of what it is allergic to. The treatment can last up to several years, depending on the allergy, the dog's size and breed. Over time, your dog may become completely free of the allergy after treatment. It is also an option to change the dog's food to hypoallergenic food, simultaneously with treatment. The reason for changing feed is that for some dogs there may be an allergy to the protein source in their feed, while in other cases it may be other ingredients in the feed that the dog is allergic to, therefore this can also be an incentive to change feed.

It can be difficult to find out exactly which allergy the dog in question has, at the same time it frustrates the dog owner that the dog has itching and skin problems and, unfortunately, the process is often long to sort out the dog.

It is, however, possible to get some anti-itching in the form of adrenal cortical hormone, which can be nice for both of you for a period, but is only symptomatic treatment and therefore does not work in the long run, a treatment is needed to get rid of your dog's allergy for life.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

RELATED ARTICLES